View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 05:14 AM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Natalie,

Of course, the design for quilts is a totally separate issue. If there's no pattern (i.e., you saw the actual quilt at a show) then you really do need to get permission to make a very similar quilt, unless the design is either in Public Domain or copyleft. If there is a pattern, it's anyone's guess. Seems like something as simple as making quilts should not be shrouded in so much complexity. I'm glad for copyrights since I believe it fosters new & innovative designs, but all the legal stuff is just plain frustrating!
And that is the question that bugs all of us. If I have to get permission from someone to make a quilt I saw, then to whom do I ask. How do I know that that quilt wasn't derived from yet another picture or quilt. IOW, how is one to find the "original source" of any given quilt that they see?

How does one kniw if a quilt pattern is in public domain? What about the blocks from which the patterns are derived?...

Random thoughts...
-As I understand it, no one can copyright geometric shapes, or specific colors.
-There are some who would like to claim everything as "theirs".
-If they want to be like that, and I know about them, I give them a wide, wide berth and avoid their stuff, and I actually prefer to not even know what they are doing.
-Of course, I may inadvertently make something quite similar to theirs.

I think I'll happily sink into my own little world.

Last edited by justflyingin; 12-05-2015 at 05:20 AM.