Old 12-05-2015, 05:58 AM
OurWorkbench

Talking Huge grin

1. I received my needles
2. I was able to find a manual dated 1878
3. I got some plates cut

1a. multiple size needles - I found out that these http://www.dritz.com/quilting-sewing...cessories/252/ can go through the eye on the size 9 needles (I've got some other sizes as well - I didn't try to pull any thread through as I need to find some finer thread. I'm not sure if I will be able to get the threaded end through the eye.

2a. manual is for "Family Favorite Improved Sewing Machine" It is probably for a latter model than mine. Kind of fun to read and some different verbiage. A couple of things I learned was that by the time this manual was issued the needles that came with the machine were manufactured by "Excelsior Needle Co" and that at least some of the attachments were "Goodrich."
  • Some quotes - "Thousands will learn without trouble or delay" (on title page)
  • "If the woodwork by any means become spoiled or dull in appearance, apply boiled linseed oil with cotton waste or a soft cloth. Our woodwork is oil-finished; no shellac or varnish being used on any except Styles 6 and 11." (on page opposite index titled "TO THE DEALER")
  • "If the stand is scratched or marred, apply "Asphalt Varnish," a quick drying japan, to be obtained almost anywhere." (on page opposite index titled "TO THE DEALER")
  • "Never turn fly-wheel the wrong way, or you may break the needle or thread." (8-some difficulties learner may encounter) Evidently they had done away with the "It can not be run backward" per http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...ges/image1.htm
  • "Remove the shuttle from its race in all cases when filling bobbin. Always take it out back of the presser-foot, and by lifting the heel first" (8-some difficulties learner may encounter) I found this to be true with this machine.
  • "If you prefer to use a size finer thread for the under one, there is no objection." (8-some difficulties learner may encounter)

3a. The plates were cut with the hole in the wrong position - about 1/8" off, but at least I know it can be done with 14 gauge aluminum. I will need to figure out how to get it to slide in properly -- It will come.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537054[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537055[/ATTACH]

I have been spending too much time in front of the computer instead of the machine. I still can't get the needle plate screw loosened. Also I can not get the roller to roll.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails platesgapleft634.jpg   platesgapright640.jpg