View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Zyngawf

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Respectfully, unless something has changed, I used to work for Disney & they absolutely would pursue infringement even if it was for a charity raffle.

The difficulty is the cost of litigation. There are people who argue that simply putting a notice about copyright on a selvage is not sufficient to prove a binding contract. I don't know if that's true or not. What I do know is that I cannot afford to pay an attorney to defend me against a large, well-funded corporation for what would drag on for at least 2 years in court (likely much longer since corporate attorneys will often file for continuances in order to force the other party to drop the case or settle). As a result, Disney pretty much always gets their way when enforcing copyrights. The licensing agreement is between the fabric manufacturer & Disney, not the end users. Unfortunately, unless you have a few million dollars lying around for legal fees & court costs, you'll never get your day in court to prove anything.
If you make fabric with disney images, yes that would be infringement. If you buy it and make quilts and sell them it isn't. Disney has the money to drag a court case on for years and make someone else miserable even if they are wrong and they would be. I don't like disney for a lot of reasons, now I have another one.