Old 12-06-2015, 05:08 AM
Clay

Default Aurifil thread and new issue with machine?

Quick background. My wife use to piece and quilt on a 25 year old Singer with Coats and Clark. We didn't know any better. Then there was the machine research followed by thread research. She started with Madeira 50 wt Cotona, a quilting thread that ran beautiful through the new Brother NQ1300PRW. After more research we invested in Aurifil 50 cotton.

The machine has a program where it will do a lock stitch at the beginning and end of a stitch if you so choose and then cut the thread and finally automatically lift the presser foot. All of this is done when you start and stop the stitch automatically. She finds this to be a nice time saver.

This issue is when we changed to Aurifil, the auto cut feature cuts the thread perhaps too short, since when she starts back up the thread balls up at the beginning of the stitch if she doesn't pull more thread through the needle manually.

I'm looking for solutions to the problem. I don't think it's the thread, since many people use Aurifil 50 successfully. First thing that I thought of was needle size. She uses a Schmetz 80/12 now and since the Aurifil is finer than the Madeira perhaps she needs to go to a 75/11? Maybe it's a bobbin issue? Maybe a machine issue?

Anyone else having issues with the start of their stitches when switching from a little heavier 50 of something else to Aurifil and what was the solution to the issue?