View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by Tiffany
I was told by an instructor not to ever blow into our sewing machine innerds. Evidently the condensation from our breath can actually cause the metal parts to rust. I told her I blew, not spit, wherein she laughed and said it amounted to the same thing. It's also why we aren't supposed to stick pins in our mouths, because it can cause the pins to rust. Just thought I'd throw that out there for you. (Don't spit in my direction if you disagree! :lol: )

I clean my machine after every project or every 6-12 hours of sewing, or about once a week. I clean out the bobbin area once every 1-2 bobbins. If I have to fill my bobbins, it's time to clean! I also change my needle after every project. I should do it more often, at least according to the experts, but money is a bit tight and those darn needles can get expensive.
I like your response to the instructor!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use compressed air to blow out my bobbin area so no spit is involved, but I can understand the whole condensation thing though.

But lets not forget that the newest machine that I use is 62 years old so what works well for me might not be the best for the folks who have the newfangled machines.

Billy