View Single Post
Old 12-10-2015, 06:32 AM
Manalto

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
Manalto thank you, I would appreciate any information you could find and send me on the machine and/or motor. I haven't found much yet, other than the downloaded manual off the net.

Oh, is regular sewing machine oil okay to use on the head? IN the manual from way back when it says heavy oil. I don't have a clue what that would be.
I had forgotten the term: waste-packed bearings. Here is the text of a document I found. Keep in mind this would be for commercial use:
"G. H. Vogel.Waste Packed Bearing Motors.
A MANUFACTURERS" letter which appeared in the February issue of Southern Engineer, page 69, entitled "Waste-Packed Bearing Motors' interests me. Perhaps the following may interest him. The Manufacturers ask the following questions:
1. Is this type successful. (Referring to waste-packed bearings in motors.)
2. How often is it necessary to renew the oiled waste?
3. How often it it necessary to put new oil in the bearings without removing the waste?
4. Will these bearings run cooler than the oil ring type of bearings?
First, I will directly answer these questions.
1. Yes, the waste-packed type of bearing is successful if given proper attention.
2. Under ordinary circumstances the waste should be renewed every six months.
3. The- oil should be renewed every month, to be on the side of safety.
4. The waste packed bearing will not run any cooler than a ring oiled bearing, conditions being the same in both types, for comparison in considering the lubrication of the bearings of any kind of machine the following factors are to be taken into account:
1—Size of the shaft journal—dia. in inches.
2—Speed—r. p. m.
3—Pressure—heavy, medium or low.
4—Temperature condition—Frictional heat or induced heat.
5—Method of application—
■ a—Hand oiled,
b—Drop feed cup*,
c—Wick feed oil en.
d—Waste or felt p«^„
e—Ring or chain oilers,
f—Forced feed circulation system,
g—Gravity circulation—non pressure,
h—Both.
In any given case, an analysis should be made of all attending conditions relative to the factors given, before conclusions can be reached that will be permanently satisfactory. For example, consider the type of machine referred to by the correspondent. The size of the journals may be designated large, medium, or small. For convenience, large will be journals over 3 in. in diameter, and small those that are 1 in. and smaller, and medium, those sizes between.
Speeds may be designated as low, medium, and high. Low speeds, those below 50 r. p. m. Medium speed, those from 50 to 300 r. p. m. High speed, those from 300 r. p. m up.
Bearing pressures may be moderate or excessive.
Moderate pressures are those within the capacity of the design of the bearing with reference to its service requirements. Excessive pressures on bearings are due to excessive weight, pull or thrust.
Temperature of bearings in service are termed moderate or extreme. Moderate temperatures are those not higher than 140 deg. F.
Extreme temperatures are those in excess of 140 deg. F. due to internal friction, deficient radiation, or high surrounding temperatures such as from induced heat in those turbines where the bearings are close up to the sides of the encasement which is subjected to the temperature of the steam within.
All of the foregoing have a very important bearing upon the selection of a lubricant, and also upon the manner of applying the lubricant.
Briefly, the following may be used as a guide.
Small bearings require a light bodied, quick acting oil.
Large bearings require a heavier bodied oil.
High speeds require a light-bodied oil.
Low speeds require a heavy-bodied oil.
Low pressures require light bodied oil.
Heavy pressure requires heavy bodied oil.
High temperatures require heavy bodied oil.
Low temperatures require light bodied oil.
The type of motors referred to by your correspondent is an easy problem in lubrication. The size of the journals are medium. The speeds are usually high. The pressures —bearing pressure—are also medium. The temperatures are medium and should never be excessive if everything is all right about the machine.
Therefore, upon analysis of all conditions, and applying the factors referred to, a light-body, quick-acting straight mineral oil is suitable to use in the waste-packed bearings mentioned in manufacturer’s letter.
Charles J. Mason."

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
I had thought of a treadle table but don't know where to find one in our area. I hear they treadle very nicely, is that correct?
If you find a treadle table for your 31-20, it's a real prize. When machines were being converted to electricity, the flywheel obstructed electric motor installation, so they were removed and, most likely, tossed, so they're not easy to find. After a persistent search, I tracked one down a couple of years ago from 1916 (at least the machine with it was from that year). The flywheel is larger (16") inches, compared to the domestic 12". It's very easy to control and it goes like the wind if you want it to. My 31-15 treadle is by far my favorite machine for a number of reasons; I just have to set up a decent bobbin-winding system; the one I've got works, but it could use some tweaking. I'm also trying to set up a good walking foot for it.