Thread: frustrated
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 03:38 AM
Quilting Aggi

Originally Posted by vandeaner
after 3 years of free motion quilting my world has turned topsy turvy!!
I am finishing a baby quilt and was going to free motion the corners around an appliqued area. I can only go 10 stitches without the thread shredding and breaking. I am using a polyester batting for a puffier look. I usually use warm and natural. I have completed all the stitching in the ditch area with no problems but NOW!!
Here are some of the things I tried to fix problem
cleaned machine, changed thread , changed needle, changed tension and foot pressure.
My machine is a husquavarna lily 545
Help---- if anybody has any further suggestions it sure would be a blessing
MY KINGDOM FOR A SUCCESSFUL FINISHED QUILT!!!!!
Hi there
I went to a sewing machine maintenance class last night and learned alot of interesting things... here is one thought that could be causing your problem. The eye in your needle is not big enough. To test this cut a piece of your thread you will be using. Using the needle you plan to use thread the needle with the cut piece of thread (your needle at this point is not in the sewing machine, but in your hand). hold the thread with one hand on one end of the thread, and the other hand holding the other side of the thread. Have your needle slide move up and down on the thread. If the needle is having trouble sliding, it means that the thread might be too thick or have nobs on it to move properly through the needle, this means you will need a bigger eye in the needle.

I also learned to use a free standing thread holder along the side of your machine so that the thread comes off the spool smoother and easier. Thread likes to be in a fertical position rather than a horizontal position.

Hope this helps!! Good Luck!