View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 04:20 PM
Sandygirl

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I would make up a supply list and say, here are the supplies needed for your _______. You purchase the supplies and I will begin working on it.

Exactly. Why wouldn't one spell out the actual cost for supplies? How one handles time and assembly is one thing but why are a lot of quilters willing to foot the bill for the supplies? It is like handing a few hundred dollars to the person requesting a quilt, etc. I don't understand this mentality. I can't afford to front the investment of purchasing supplies.

so....i start with....."I make $20.00 an hour. A queen size takes 40-50 hours to piece. ...if they are still listening,..add $300.00 for the fabric, another $200-300 for finishing ( batting, quilting services.) ...... People back away at 40-50 HOURS of time! Someone once admired my large purse and asked if I quilted for others. I smiled and told her that I had 8 hours in my bag. No further conversation as she covered her eyes and waved goodbye. We enjoyed her reaction..she is an acquantance. Good natured...she got my drift!

sandy