Thread: Dumplings
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2015, 07:49 PM
sassy granny

Everybody raves about my dumplings. Years ago we, in our neighborhood , had quiltings every Monday at one of the neighbors house and 8 to 12 of more ladies came to quilt . They rotated from one person to another each week and the person of the house always cooked a big dinner and chicken and dumplings was always at the head of the menu, it was called a quilting dinner. Anyway I was young then and didn't know how to make dumplings and one particular lady was a real dumpling maker and she always had to make the dumplings for the ones that didn't know how. She taught me how and this is how I make them to this day. I have to make big batchs now but I started out with the 2 cup measure. I use 2 cups self rising flour, a scant 1/4 cup canola oil, you can use butter or shortening, and cold water, enough to make a good pliable dough. I do not put eggs or milk in my dumplings. Turn the dough out on well floured board or I use wax paper, and roll out pretty thin, unless you like a thick fluffy dumpling. I then cut strips across the short side of the dough and pick up a strip at a time and break off bite size pieces and drop in the boiling broth. Keep pushing the dough just dropped down to the bottom of the kettle. When you get all dropped, turn down the heat a bit and let cook until done, about 15 or 20 minutes. I hope this helps.