View Single Post
Old 12-18-2015, 01:59 PM
Buckeye Rose

Giving anything handmade can be a risk....not everyone appreciates the time or effort required to make homemade things. So while I love to make quilts and other crafty items, I don't give them away unless I know they will be loved. My daughters are my biggest "customers", but they always pay for the materials upfront and I don't charge them labor. If I do get an occasional paying customer, I figure up the materials cost and expect a non-refundable payment for all materials cost before ever starting. I payment for labor at delivery (no excuses accepted). That way if the customer decides to go ahead with the project but later backs out on the deal, I am out nothing but my time and I still have a quilt to sell. A lot of people will be shocked at the cost of materials for a handmade quilt and tell you "no thanks". But you lose even more interest when you tell them what your labor cost will be! Get a written agreement containing every detail of the quilt, including the financials....it will save you lots of heartache later!