Old 12-20-2015, 04:30 AM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

I don't do blacksmithing, but, we just moved from a Southern state that had a lot of fairs and festivals and we did watch the blacksmiths at every one we went to. It is fascinating to both me and Mr. Stitchnripper. We also watched the fellows (and there were never women) make the tools by chipping rocks. I don't know what that's called, but there is so much precision involved, just to chip away the right amount in the right place. And sometimes at those fairs and festivals there would be a lady using a chain stitch hand crank. Or a big frame with a quilt in and everyone could take a turn quilting, which I always enjoyed.

I don't know why I started collecting machines, but I am most fascinated with the black singers. I have a few. Or maybe several. Now we are in another Southern state in a house with a basement with a work bench already here, and I have a new territory to scope out. I have been on hiatus for several months with the selling the other house, move, and trying to get organized here. I will also have my own sewing room in one of the bedrooms. I am already old and so I waited a very long time to get this, and hope I have enough good years to enjoy it all.

My quest for machines is starting after the New Year. I collect them because they have a story, which I'll never know, but, if they could talk, I'll bet it would be very interesting. And because mostly it is within my abilities to make one run again especially with all the help I've gotten here. I don't know if I will ever take on the task of restoring a finish, but, who knows.