View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 06:16 AM
Rebecca_S

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

Originally Posted by DeneK View Post
This one is on my bucket list too. Yours is beautiful. Pls do give us any tips to make this work easier/better. It is very intimidating.
Here are a few tips:
* Starch the fabric really well, there is a lot of bias happening in this quilt
* As I cut triangles, rather than stacking them in one pile I dealt them out like a hand of cards into 7 piles. That way each fabric got distributed around from the very beginning. For scrap quilts, I find this method makes it easier to keep 2 of the same fabric from touching
* Before starting, I decided on a color theme (light to medium, clear colors, nothing muddy, no solids) and pulled out scraps to match that theme
* I placed my fabrics so the darks pointed "up" and the lights pointed "down", which is fairly traditional for a thousand pyramids pattern. This makes each piece stand out against its neighbors.
* I did the layout of small triangles first, then large ones but if you only have one size you can lay them out a few rows at a time
* First I sewed pairs of triangles, one dark and light together in a row. Press towards the dark, carefully to avoid distortion
* Then I sewed pairs together into rows and pressed the other seams towards the dark. After this step the project sat around for months...
* Finally I sewed the rows together. Because of the layout and the pressing, the seams nested quite nicely so the rows went together fairly easily