View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 11:02 PM
Peckish

The good news is people do grow and change.

My SIL Mary was given a quilt when she got married (before my husband and I met). For the first several years, I only heard about how hideous it was. The quilt maker had asked my MIL what colors Mary liked, and was told "earth tones" without explanation. You can see it coming - Mary's idea of earth tones was different than the quilt maker's. Once I started quilting, I got very curious about it and asked Mary what it looked like. She described it as an enormous star with an awful combination of colors: green, brown, yellow, orange, and fuchsia. I asked to see it but she had it packed away deep in a closet and wasn't inclined to dig it out.

Fast forward a few years, and a couple of things happened to change her mind about that quilt. I made my MIL a version of a log cabin that contained over 9000 patches. My husband made sure she saw each piece, and how much love and time I had put into it, and told her to insure it for $7000, because that's how much it would cost to replace it. MIL bragged and proudly showed it off to everyone - including Mary. The second thing that happened was Mary went with her church group to Africa. Among the supplies that were donated to their cause was a lovely quilt. Mary took that quilt on the plane and held it on her lap, which gave her the chance to study it closely. It made her realize how much love, time, and skill goes into every quilt.

When my family went to Mary's house last month for Thanksgiving, I was surprised to find her wedding quilt on the bed in the guest room. It was a Lone Star in solid fabrics, in the colors she'd described to me, and was beautifully hand quilted. Although it's a lovely quilt, I knew immediately that the colors and pattern were not her style. But I find it wonderful that she'd grown to appreciate the time and love that the quilt maker had put into that quilt; and decided to bring it out of the closet, show it off and use it.