Thread: Selling quilts?
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 02:12 PM
Geri B

I think quilts made by us quilters is in the zone as Mercedes, Lexus,BMW,.........most people who want a quilt will look for the less expensive alternative...but let me say, I recently acquired two "made in India" quilts w/shams at an estate sale for $35 each...queen size. I must say, these are much better constructed than past copies of " our quilt designs". One is white bkgrnd with embroidered(machine) clusters of pines, holly leaves and all hand quilted with crosshatching and feathers...the other is a lone star with well spaced hand quilted designs...both are scalloped with complimentary quilting following the scallops.these quilts were in pristine condition and the white one now dresses my bed for the holiday. I want to say I have seen similar quilts at a Cracker Barrel in a town off the expressway......they are priced higher than $39.95......

This, like so many other things are now mass produced globally and therefore the prices are competitive. But, on the reverse there are still those who will want a handmade quilt and willing to pay the price quoted....

I have also accumulated 4 Amish made --2 whole cloth and 2 needle turned appliqued pieced, beautiful quilts..again at estate sales at what I consider a very good price...and I just think how sad that no one in any of these families wanted them. I use these on the beds in my house, along with some of my own...don't know what will happen to them when I'm gone....but now, I enjoy seeing them.....
... And I will continue to make quilts because I totally enjoy the process........

Just my thoughts