Old 12-27-2015, 07:54 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Hi and welcome to the board.

Ok as far as your current machine not sewing over the cording, of which I am assuming you are doing the baskets made out of clothes line where you zig zag the clothesline to form the basket, you may wish to refer to your manual. There is a section that indicates what to do when sewing over really thick fabrics and alludes that the machine is capable of handling thickness up to 1/4". Most cotton clothes line I have seen will compress down to that. Here is a link to the manual http://babylock.com/ftp/whitepapers/...uctionBook.pdf I found the instructions on page 52.

I could not find a price point for the machine you currently have, but based on google reviews of the machines capabilities it appears to be in the same price point you are looking at. So I feel you may just be throwing you money away on a machine that doesn't really have any different features than the one you currently have. Quite honestly your very basic Babylock Tempo appears to be a nice starter machine and should get you going on all of your quilting needs, from peicing the top to finishing your quilt. It takes time and practice. Most machine quilting beginners start with the walking foot and straight line quilting. Many progress from there. Some, like me, never did get any good at FMQ (free motion quilting) my quilts on the machine so I hand quilted my larger quilts and did straight line quilting on smaller quilts. I dabbled in FMQ but never could get the hang of it and I didn't like the results. So I saved up until I could afford my longarm machine which is quilting on a large rack (10 ft long) and takes up an entire room in my home and cost over $10K with no computer guidance.

Computerized machines just mean there are small modules in the machine that can do fancy stitches for you and some embroidery capability, like say lettering for monograms. It appears your current machine has some built in stitches and you can "program" certain features so your machine and the two you mention are in that category.

Nothing in either of these machines, nor any machine in the price range you are looking for is capable of "steering" for you as far as quilting is concerned. They have built in decorative stitches you can use for quilting but they won't stitch out a quilting motif for you. The machines capable of doing that start at thousands of dollars and go up to the price of small car! Yes there are computerized longarm setups that can run $20K to$50K.

I would recommend trying to get your machine to do what you want it to. If you decide it isn't right for you, you will have to visit some dealerships to see what features it is you are really looking for and need and then start your Amazon search from there. Your GC shouldn't expire so that will give you plenty of time to decide if that is what you really want to use it for or maybe something else.