Old 12-28-2015, 07:55 AM
OurWorkbench

Well it has been over a week now since I took the feed dog lever off and think I better post the pictures.

After getting the lever out,there was a bunch of crud at the end in the hole

[ATTACH=CONFIG]538921[/ATTACH]

and the washer looked like this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]538922[/ATTACH]

this is the side that was next to the lever

[ATTACH=CONFIG]538923[/ATTACH]

The screw, spring and washer after cleaning and polishing (with silver polish & 0000 steel wool)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]538924[/ATTACH]

The screw still looked like it had some crud in the threads. I tried the brass brush on the Dremel with the screw clamped into the vise. Still cruddy, so I took some dental floss and was able to get more out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]538925[/ATTACH]

Upon further inspection I decided that the washer was in the correct position so that it prevents the spring from getting twisted in the oblong hole at the end of the lever.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]538926[/ATTACH]

This past week I haven't been taking many pictures. I have cleaned some more at the joints trying to get the dried oil off. I mainly use my fingernail or a cuticle stick or a plastic scraper. I have oiled multiple times and then go back and try to scrape off some more.

I guess it is time to move on to the irons and table top. I have been re-reading posts about restoring wood & irons. So many things spinning around in my head. I do have boiled linseed oil and vinegar. I also have Kiwi shoe polish. I also was doing some research on Briwax and found that there are two formulas. Also, something that I read about the Briwax was that because of the solvent used (I think in both - but different solvents in each) that it will clean as well as polish. Should I decide to go that route (Briwax) that probably "Tudor Brown" would be what would work well for the black walnut wood. I took some pictures of the table late yesterday afternoon, but haven't downloaded, yet. I went and looked again in brighter light this morning and found a date of Dec. 28, 1875 on the bracket for the extension leaf. Now it is one hundred forty years old (or at least the bracket is).

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails feeddogfront_b4_outcrud-041.jpg   feeddogfront_b4-washer054.jpg   feeddogfront_b4-washerotherside-055.jpg   feeddogfrontaft-scwspgwshr-075.jpg   feeddogfrontaftcleanscrw-082.jpg  

feeddogfrontaftbktog-090.jpg