View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 08:11 PM
quiltlady1941

[QUOTE=dunster;7418331]If the design is original, it is copyright protected and you should not copy it. However, most quilt designs are not original. In most cases (but not all) the copyright applies to the pattern instructions and illustrations, not to the quilt design itself. If the quilt is made up of blocks in the public domain (and most blocks are), you can copy the quilt without any problem. An applique design is more likely to be original and protected by copyright. Patents don't apply to quilt patterns.

If you make the quilt with the same ideas but don't make it exactly the same as hers, like maybe change the figures to say a baby doll, a dog or a cat , when she used a little girl, you wouldn't be making the quilt the same as hers just the same idea, would this still be infringing on her copyrights.

I would really like to make a few of these quilts to donate to our hospital or some other place that I think would benefit some little person that is in need.. If this is a problem I will just look for some other quilt to make or maybe come up with my own idea for a little persons quilt...It was just such a cute quilt, and great idea for a little persons quilt.. oh well thanks ao much for all of your help.