View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 06:38 AM
Sharon - NC

This was supposed to be a practice piece .. I picked my least favorite fabric that was in my small stash and started hand piecing nine-patches. My daughter saw and fell in love with it and asked me (repeatedly, because I kept saying NO) ... to make her a full sized quilt with it. I did, and I ended up really liking it once I added the black and white to it. It's hand pieced and hand quilted.

The buttons are from my grandmother's button collection that I inherited when she died. As a side note, I've had the buttons for about 25 years, but when going through them for this project I found her diamond engagement ring and a beautiful locket with a diamond in it and pics of my great-grands - I guess she figured the buttons were a good place to hide "the goods"!

I quilted it to fleece rather than using batting and cotton, because I wanted it to be something soft and warm and USED. The fleece was a bit slippery and I had to pin it and repin it several times, but I like the way it turned out. I did mostly stitch in the ditch, with some diagonals here and there.

Notice my "inspector" in my avatar :-) She was so jealous of the quilt because usually SHE is in my lap if I sit down to watch TV, and she was replaced by the quilt for weeks.

Don't know why the pic turned out so small.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]65740[/ATTACH]

Some of my grandmother's buttons.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]65763[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-65735.jpe   attachment-65758.jpe