View Single Post
Old 12-31-2015, 11:38 AM
Rodney

Tammi you're going to be far happier with even the cheapest hardwood you can find for making bases. Hardwood plywood works well too if you don't mind the edges showing.
Sometimes you can even use pallet wood if you can tell it's a hardwood by looking and the boards aren't too dirty. It doesn't take much ground in dirt to mess up your tools.

Singer's design and even the generic cases from the 50s and 60s before plastic bubbles took over aren't as easy to reproduce as they look. There are a lot of little things that make the original cases so nice.
I'm trying to come up with my own easily produced version too. The biggest issue for me is keeping the weight down on them.

2015: I haven't kept track of the machines I've acquired and when. The Streamliner that Macybaby gifted me is the most memorable though. I do know I've slowed down on purchases since this summer. I've also given a couple machines to kids in our 4 H group and plan to give up a couple more.

The most memorable thing would be the 2 quilts that were given to me when I went in for surgery.
Big Thank Yous again to everyone who participated in those projects for me.

I did build a simple work station for fixing sewing machines. I'm also working on a tutorial for repairing the rubber friction drive wheels that White and National used on their machines. Won't be ready till next year though.
I'm also starting a blog. I hope it's ok to mention it. No content yet but I plan to use it to post some how-to stuff around woodworking and vintage machines. There will also be stuff about our 4 H group and simple sewing projects.

Oh yeah, here's a big one. We finally have our camera situation straightened out so I can start posting pictures again.
It's about time.

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you all have a safe, healthy and happy 2016!
Rodney

Last edited by Rodney; 12-31-2015 at 11:40 AM.