Thread: Quilt boarders
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2016, 05:35 AM
Geri B

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I have seen patterns that can be done either way but if you do the top and bottom first you distort the visual length of the quilt. It increases the visual appearance of the width and shortens the visual appearance of the length. Mitered corners will keep that from happening. So, it up to you to decide what is important to you from a visual point of view. I like to cut lengthwise borders on the lengthwise grain of fabric and the top and bottom borders on the crosswise grain.

I dont see how "visually" it makes a difference. Top/bottom vs sides first. The all over print or solid fabric "blends"in that seam be it vertical or horizontal. But, I must say, if the BORDER fabric print is in anyway directional the mitered corner does make for a smooth, eye pleasing finish along with keeping the directional the same all the way around. JMHO. And it is also recommended that all borders be cut lengthwise from fabric...because loss stretch lengthwise as width wise. I personally don't follow that rule, except if pattern needs to be continued that way, but I do match centers and ends to make sure I don't get a wavy border......that's just my way

Last edited by Geri B; 01-02-2016 at 05:40 AM.