View Single Post
Old 01-02-2016, 10:14 AM
llong0233

In my opinion the best kind of ice cream is that which does not contain thickeners, stabilizers, or emulsifiers. The two most commonly used are carrageenan (extracted from red edible seaweeds) and guar gum, a fine powder made from guar seeds, which is used as a thickener and a binder. Both are food quality and absolutely safe. They are widely used in the food industry, for their gelling, thickening, and stabilizing properties. Their main application is in dairy and meat products, due to their strong binding to food proteins.

I find these thickening agents change the texture of the ice cream and, in lower priced products, can even have the effect of making the ice cream seem "gummy" in a way.

My favorite ice cream, with none of these extenders/fillers, Blue Bunny Vanilla Bean (other BB vanilla flavors contain fillers). Read the ingredients on this product and you find it contains only milk/cream, sugar and vanilla. Other flavors all contain fillers. The only other produce I am aware of at the grocery stores that doesn't contain fillers is Bryers Vanilla (and only vanilla!). Read the labels for ingredients.

P.S. I find ice cream to be medicinal and take it often as a precaution against getting any bug that may be going around. It is also helpful for indigestion, allergies, hang-nails and Athelets' Foot! HAHAHAH