Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 AM
fireworkslover

Originally Posted by Maribeth
Originally Posted by fireworkslover
One thing to consider is that Bernina have special feet. If you want to purchase an open toe foot (for example), at your fabric shop, it won't fit on the Bernina unless you have a special attachment to attach to the foot itself. I sew on a Bernina at my job and know this to be true.
I have purchased several feet for my Bernina including an open toe foot and the walking foot and never needed a special attachment. What special attachment are you talking about?
Most feet attach to the machine at the pressure bar with a screw. Bernina have the foot and the bar all in one piece. So if you buy just a foot, you can't attach it to the bar by the screw, since there isn't a screw. You can purchase a special attachment that hooks onto the machine and also your foot, but it's pricey.

Huh?? Again, I have purchased several feet for my Bernina including an open toe foot and the walking foot and never needed a special attachment. The foot slips right on the shank and locks with a turn of a lever, much the same as the turn of a screw. There is no special attachment that is required. I don't know what model you were using but, really, the Bernina does not need a special attachment to use Bernina feet.
The answer to the question is right there at the end of your last sentence. You must use a Bernina foot. The foot is the foot, but also is the leg going up to where it attaches to the pressure bar with a lever that locks onto the upper leg part of the foot. LOL, Is that enough feet and legs for you? I'll have to look tomorrow to see what model my machine is at work. I'll let you know tomorrow.
Well, yeah, I was assuming you were using Bernina feet on a Bernina the same as you would use Janome feet on a Janome and Pfaff feet on a Pfaff machine, etc. you get the idea. Heck, even my older $89 White sewing machine (a little work horse in its own right) had a White walking foot. Obviously, if you are adapting a foot not made for that machine to that machine you would need an 'adapter', (I think that is how it got it's name :-D.) Anyway, glad to clear up that when you are not using feet branded specifically to that brand of sewing machine, you can easily adapt the foot. Take Care, Maribeth
OK, a few last comments and then we'll put this to rest. The machine I use at work is a 930 Electronic, about 25 -30 yrs. old. Yes, I was referring to the Bernina feet. They must be Bernina not a generic brand, like you can buy at the fabric shop. My Nelco machine at home has the quick change feet that pop off with the flip of a lever on the back of the pressure foot. I bought many different feet that can fit my Nelco machine. These feet will not work on my Bernina at work. Also, I have a walking foot which I can put on my Nelco with the screw on the pressure bar. I can't put it on the Bernina unless I use that special attachment leg. OK, all done. Smiles.