View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 08:36 AM
vicki reno

I once did a grandmothers flower garden along the same lines. I used the cneter hexagon with a picture and the next ring of hexagons and used a satin stitch to sew them to a background fabric. It was done for my mother with pictures of all of us and she and my dad were in the center "flower" By using the satin stitch around the outer edges it went much faster than the traditional pattern. There is also a new pattern, new to me that is, called Aunt Hatties Garden. it is round pieces with scalloped edges and you could either fuse the pieces to the background and each other or use the blanket stitch or a satin stitch. I found it on the internet in McCalls quilting magazine. There is a spot where you can go to past isuues and this was in June '05 if I am not mistaken. It is easy to do and fast and could be adapted to almost any size just by adding or subtracting the number of blocks you need.
Maybe this will give you some ideas to get started.
Another good place for ideas is Quilter's stash. Lots of good patterns on that website.
Post a picture when you're done so that we can see your final choice and how it turned out. Good luck
Vicki