Old 01-05-2016, 07:40 AM
Sewnoma

My sister recently showed me the quilt I made when my nephew was born, almost 15 years ago now. I wasn't a quilter then and just went off of memories of seeing my grandmother's work...in a very flawed sort of way!

It's held up, mostly - some of the fabric I used was vintage fabric that had been in the family for years and that fabric started giving way in a couple spots, but the bulk of the quilt was...well, still there. LOL It's extremely amateurish - so many seams are wobbly and crooked and I can tell the idea of a consistent seam allowance was nowhere in my mind when I made it, and I also obviously had no clue how to attach the pre-made satin "baby blanket" binding I had purchased so I just sort of sewed it on...and my "quilting"...yikes, it's questionable at best! But every stitch was made with love and most of them are still there, so I forgive myself for not being very skilled when I made it. I did well enough for it to survive nearly 15 years, that's not bad for a total beginner!

I offered to fix it up my my nephew didn't like that idea. He says it has history and shouldn't be changed. Oddly wise words coming from a guy who hasn't had his voice crack yet.