View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 05:58 AM
Mickey2

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
...but don't know much about the green machines - has $20 on it....?
Hard to go by color alone, but the metal bodied two tone green would be an absolute bargain at $20, I'm thinking of the 319 (swing needle zigzag). Model 185 comes in a green version, a very nice 3/4 size straight stitcher (for all practical purposes it's a 99). Both of these are all metal. The 1960s models 337 and 338 are nice sturdy machines, and are reported to be all metal by bloggers on the web; and comes in green ;- )

There is a rare version of model 15 in a mint green, well worth even as a fix up machine for $20. Model 15 is in plenty, but the late green version is few and far between.

The only green machine people seem to hate is model 285. I don't know how universal this hate is; it's an all metal machine, but with an odd gear mechanism that makes it more prone to vibrations. If I came across it for $20 I probably would go for it, but mostly out of curiosity to see what it's all about. I know some have had this model since new and have grown fond of it. It needs to be place it on a rubber mat or have tick felt pads under the base to absorb vibrations and make it less noisy, it will be a must on higher speeds. All in all; a model hard to recommend when better ones are in plenty.

The old cast iron Berninas get my attention these days ;- ) Bernina made industrial machines before then entered the domestic marked, their first was introduced in the early 30s, after decades of innovative developments in industrial machines.

Last edited by Mickey2; 01-07-2016 at 06:11 AM.