Old 01-07-2016, 07:10 AM
onaemtnest

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I agree with others to do whatever you can to maintain the integrity of the scalloped edges. There are tons of tutes and You Tube videos about binding a scalloped edge quilt. So either take the plunge to do it yourself or hire someone. Don't cut it.

As far as batting I would highly recommend consulting with your longarmer on that. DWR quilts are notorious for being a bit full in spots (especially when hand pieced) and it will be very difficult for your LAQ to quilt out the fullness without getting tucks and pleats with a batting as flat as warm and natural or warm and white. She or He will probably need to evaluate the quilt and based on that you can make a decision together based on the quilts condition, the longarmers expertise and most importantly your wants. Your photos show the top to be in great condition and I am not seeing any fullness but it is hard to tell from a photo.
Thank-you feline fanatic for your time in responding to my post. The scalloped edges (gentle curves) don't intimidate me it's the four patch inward corners (sharp inward corners so close together) that I'm stressing about. No I won't be cutting it, reading all the suggestions in this thread have convinced me that I can not 'ruin' the integrity of the design by doing that.

I especially appreciate your comments on the batting dealing with fullness and tucks, pleats. I asked him last night and he agrees that once, should I decide to have him quilt it, he will choose the best batting for this quilt. He has many, many years of LA quilting under his belt. Everyone that has looked at this quilt closely have remarked on the condition of the fabrics, there are just a couple of the white muslin pieces that look a little off color. I do think there are places of fullness, but nothing major to 'my' eye.