View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 09:25 AM
Krystyna
Swap Hosts

Default Therapy Quilt UFO's

I've been away from the board for a long time - Superstorm Sandy really knocked a hole in my heart - and then there were other tasks and trials to be overcome in our new home. But at long last, I'm settled in and happily finishing UFO's!

Here are a series of little quilts that served as therapy in the early days of our exile. I finally got around to binding them. The photos are pretty dreadful - taken with my phone.

This one is called And Then The Sea Came In. Hard to see all the stitching in this photo, but it is covered!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539602[/ATTACH]

Then there is this one, called Raised Houses - after we were told that all houses had to be raised 10 feet in the air or we could pay thousands in flood insurance. I embroidered our house number on the middle one.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539604[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]539603[/ATTACH]

This one is a recollection of happier days spent fishing on the bay. Our old zip code is embroidered on the ship's bow. It's called Sail Away. I've included a photo of the back as the stitching isn't clear in the first photo.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539605[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]539606[/ATTACH]

The next one is Under the Sun - with a close up of some of the stitching on the sun. Living on a barrier beach island, the sun was always intense and warming, even in winter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539607[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]539608[/ATTACH]

Here is one called Fly Away at Sunset. I always wondered where the seabirds went once the sun went down. Sometimes at night you could hear them in the marshes.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539610[/ATTACH]

And finally, this one is Gibbous Moon Waxing. Although I often walked the beach at night and fished in the bay, I was always a little nervous about what lived below the waves. Here, a fish rises to the moon's reflection in an attempt to devour the light. In the depths, a mermaid reaches up to snatch the light to keep in the dark places where she lives.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539609[/ATTACH]

There are still more, but not yet finished.
Attached Thumbnails then-sea-came-.jpg   raised-houses-2.jpg   raised-houses-1.jpg   sail-away.jpg   sail-away-2.jpg  

under-sun-1.jpg   under-sun-2.jpg   gibbous-moon-waxing.jpg   fly-away.jpg