Old 01-07-2016, 09:38 AM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by Penster View Post
Okay, I am a new quilter, so I am trying to understand the why and reasoning behind a pattern I just purchased. This pattern claims it is for the beginner, and you can use 10 inch precuts. But then you must trim down 40 10 inch squares to 9 inch squares. Yikes!
Now what would be the reasoning for this? If I left my 10 inch squares as is, would it make this quilt look strange? I am really trying to understand this, and i understand that I will need more fabric for the borders, etc, but that sure seems to make more sense to me than cutting down all of these squares.
I am going to make it as instructed, (After I purchase a 9 1/2 inch square ruler! ) but I am trying to understand the logic behind it. Why wouldn't the person who made this have left the precuts as is so it would have truly been an easy quilt for a beginner? Do triangles from 10 inch squares look bad compared to triangles from 9 inch squares?
Just a quick thought, you can buy a square ruler in 9.5", but it will be more useful to buy a 12.5" square ruler and use tape on the back to show a 9.5" square, to make squaring up easier and faster. You will find that if you buy your rulers at standard sizes as you begin quilting, you will be able to do more with each ruler you buy. I buy a product on Amazon called "glow tape" that is made just for this purpose, or any painter's tape will fork as well, but this product is what I first tried for me to get straight lines. Welcome to our obsession!