Thread: FINALLY DONE!
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 01:06 PM
tlrnhi

Who is the sailor?
Well, I would say it's my husband, but it's not.
Oh, he IS a sailor, but it's not him.
My boyfriend? Nope, he's not a sailor either.
He's the cabana boy on the tropical island I "disappear" to in my dreams.
So, who is the sailor?
Enquiring minds want to know......

It's actually no one in particular. I am making/made the quilt for the Dolphin Scholarship Auction. It's an auction that raises money for children of Submarine Sailors. I wanted to put the "dolphins" in the middle and "My Heart Belongs To My Submariner", but I couldn't find anyone to digitize for me. I have misplaced my program that came with my machine to do those things. Soooo....I just changed it around to make it a "generic" sailor. Most of the people who attend the auction are Active Duty, Retired and sometimes just friends of Navy people. It's not just exclusive to the Submarine Community. So, with my changing it to Sailor, more people can actually bid on it.
I don't mind making it and donating it because it is for a good cause and maybe one day, one of my girls will apply for the scholarship and be a recipient of some of the money raised from this quilt. Who knows?
So, now you know the story........and you all thought it was a juicy, love story, huh? ;)

BTW...the last hand made quilt that I know of that was auctioned off was an Hawaiian Shirt Quilt at the auction in Hawaii
( http://www.paperpanache.com/guests/ashirt.htm )
and it brought in almost $1000.
I don't expect mine to bring in that much, but every little bit helps. I just hope they start the bid at atleast $100.

edit* Forgot to add my Thank You's to all.
So, thank you everyone!