View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 08:19 AM
kathy

Default preserving memories

I was inspired by wendyaz (I think) who took a class and I found one on Craftsy for quilting heirlooms or something like that. I wish I'd gotten some from a garage sale for my first one but I jumped in with all fours using my own keepsakes from my mother and her mother, now of course I see so many things I wish were different! Well I didn't use them all because I have two daughters so I saved enough to do another. I wish I'd chosen a background with some color so that my treasures would show up better, I wish I'd put them closer together and made a smaller piece. I wish I had NOT used two battings, it was great before I washed it but now where the quilting is not very dense it just mostly looks wrinkled and puckery. If they were not so delicate I would take them off and redo it but I don't think the hankies would survive! The crocheted doillie I covered with tulle so the foot wouldn't get caught, that part worked well. The pansy is one of twelve that my grandmother appliqued for a quilt in the late 50s. I did some details by quilting with embroidery thread, that part went well too!
Attached Thumbnails hpim2415.jpg-doilies.jpg   hpim2416.jpg-doilies.jpg   hpim2419.jpg-doilies.jpg   hpim2421.jpg-doilies.jpg   hpim2426.jpg-doilies.jpg