View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 08:29 AM
steihy

Default Vibrating shuttle, White VS lll

I picked up the White VS lll a few days ago. Have a million questions because so many solutions are different, and new to me. I'll get back to that. It's by far the worst case of varnishing I've seen, some parts look they have been dipped in tar. It seems pretty much immune to alcohol that is not applied with a high pressure gun. Apart from that, or maybe because of the added protection, it appears to be in pretty good shape. I can easily rotate the action just by moving the needle bar up and down by hand. Well, without the treadle.

The head has seen hard use. The decor is gone in the wear areas. The shuttle is worn and the rear edge is worn through and razor sharp, but it works.

Finish on the cabinet is dull and stained but I think all the veneer is practically intact. Drawers are complete and in good shape, all the fittings and rings there...The quaint center drawer with the upright bobbin rack even has the key in it...chuckles.

There is a wonderful aura - only word I could think of - abut this machine, and I'm very glad I got it. I will post pictures and ask practical questions when I get them sorted more.

For now, just one basic question:

The manual - yes the whole thing was there, crumpled but readable - describes how to apply more or less vibrator, but not a word about what it is, what it does, and why. Can someone tell me?