View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 05:35 AM
Chasezzz

I think these groups are wonderful...I co-lead one that celebrated its 10th year in 2015. I think too they need to reflect the interest and skills of those participating. Our group has grown to the point that the church provides us with rooms specifically for our use that are kept locked when we are not there (we have donated sewing machines so no one needs to bring a machine, our supplies and projects are safely stored between meetings, our completed projects are stored there pending delivery to their destination etc.). We tend to divide our activities into quarters, do one quilt pattern a year for our donation quilts (something easy that builds skills and keeps the interest), do a smaller project one quarter for a designated charity (have done adult bibs for a home for severely mentally limited adults, pillow cases using the tube method of construction for special need camps/overseas orphanage, etc), and do holiday projects that are given out at the church's ladies holiday brunch via drawings (highlights the quilt ministry and always creates good buzz). We do some small projects that members can do for their own use too (zippered bags, tabletoppers). In addition to our external donations, our shelf of completed quilts allows us to give a lap quilt to any member facing chemo, newborns in the congregation, for young couples in the church in celebration of their weddings and so on. Hope these ideas spark some ideas that will be appropriate to your group.