View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 06:33 PM
VickiM

Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
Yes, we have "Quilt in a Box" in our Ladybug Quilting Guild in Newark, DE. The person who owns the box (we use the clear or colored 12" or 14" boxes from JAF or A.C. Moore. I get mine from A.C. Moore in the paper dept. where they are cheaper.) picks her fabrics, maybe up to 10 if she chooses. She does not pick a pattern. She buys the fabric and inside the box she tapes pieces of her fabric, pointing out the feature fabric, the one she wants the least of, etc. Then on the front of the box is taped a list of all 12 members who will participate in this exchange. I believe we are up to #22 or so. At the beginning, all boxes are passed out, and then at each meeting, they announce that "at the break, the Quilt in a Box #22 will meet in the right hand corner to exchange their boxes". If someone is missing, they can make it
up or pick a box up in the neighborhood they live.
Then after all the boxes are done, about a year or so, we meet at someone's home, have a carry-in dinner, and exchange our boxes. What we do is call a name, and everyone puts that girl's blocks up on the flannel board for her to
see. Hardly anyone duplicates a block. All are different. But no one knows that in advance. Because of so many of us working, finishing the top is up to the owner of the box. Maybe it is years later when a top is finished.
Hope this helps. I would attach a copy of our papers, but I cannot locate one right now. Maybe later.
Yes, all blocks will be different. Each person will make her "chosen" block with each person's fabrics that are in their shoebox. So in the end, each person will have 12 blocks done with their own fabrics. We usually have a "top done to show the guild" about 4 months later. That way we all get to see the tops put together, doesn't need to be quilted. We've done it this way for our BOM's & the reveal day usually includes a prize or two. The fun is in seeing how each person actually puts their top together...and some even make extra blocks to add to the others to get it to what they want.