View Single Post
Old 01-14-2016, 07:44 AM
tessagin
Power Poster

Both of my DGMs were into needle work. My paternal gma, crocheted and knitted and taught my 2 cousins and I how to crochet with thread. We together made a beautiful lacy tablecloth. Grandma always brought it out to set the table when any of us had dinner with her and grandpa. I was the 2nd of the dgds to get married and wanted it for my bridal table. Grandma had since passed on and we found it cut up and used for a template for a lace design on my cousin's hot rod. My father nearly killed him. My maternal was more into handi needle work sewing/mending but she made a few clothes for my cousins. I was very proud of a dress she made me on her treadle. She never let anyone use it and I could never get the hang of it. One day my sister spilled nail polish on my mother's new store bought bedspread. A lady in town was a quilter and took one of the matching shams to repair the spot. I went to pick it up and was at her house for 2 hours. I was mesmerized with the woman. She had a treadle and an electric. She told me what I needed and gave me some pieces of fabric. I eventually asked my mother if I could use her machine but she didn't have time. Didn't want me to touch it without her being there. Anyway I saved babysitting money to buy a pair of Gingher scissors. Had all of my things in a bag in the back of a closet shared by 4 girls. The one sister got a hair and "cleaned' out the closet. When she opened the bag she only saw the top layer of scraps and threw out the whole bag. I had 4 blocks pieced that I was going to show my quilting friend. I beat the crap out of my sister and I got a whooping too.It was decades before I got a new "start up kit". It's been off and on but I think I have a quilting/sewing buddy in my DH. I kdid a lot of other crafts in between but sewing was always in the back of my mind and now Ihave a sewing area. Just need some motivation now.