View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 09:49 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

I find inspiration everywhere. My go to sources are Pinterest and google images. I also like looking at coloring pages for adults, Zentangles, Tattoos, Wrought Iron work, architectural ornamentation, Stencils (and not just stencils for quilting), decorative tile work, Floor mosaics and parquet wood. I also love to go to quilting blogs. Once you start seeing quilting ideas in mundane daily things you will start to see quilting design potential everywhere. From a cracks in the sidewalk to tree bark.

I have also collected several books that focus on quilting rather than piecing. Karen McTavish really unlocked a lot of doors for me with her books Elemental Quilting and Curved Crosshatch. The books are pretty much her own designs but she elaborates on how to make a small unit of a design then mirror it or flip it and connect it. Sue Heinz also does this and has tons of wonderful ideas. Other authors I like are Gina Perkes, the aforementioned Angela Walters, Judi Madsen of Green Fairy Quilts, although they are all longarm quilters. And let us not forget the queens of domestic machine quilting Harriett Hargrave (Heirloom Machine quilting) and Diane Guadynski.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 01-15-2016 at 09:56 AM.