View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 12:48 PM
Mrs. SewNSew

I learned to sew when I was very young, my Grandmother used to make Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls and sold them to make Christmas money. I traced her patterns one Summer vacation and brought them home. I must have learned to use a machine from her, although I don’t remember her teaching me. I can remember doing sewing projects now and again and learned to sew clothes in Home Ec in middle school. Mom had an old black Singer that I used and later she brought a Bernina. I have photos of myself in outfits I know my mother sewed for me but she must have done her sewing while I was in school because I don’t have memories of watching her do it!

When my kids were young I sewed for them, and made doll clothes, did mending or alterations for friends. Three years ago I offered to make a quilt square for a group project that was dog related and would be appliqued. I’ve always felt more comfortable with hand work, so I knew if I couldn’t handle it on my machine I could always stitch it by hand. I enjoyed making the square and also being a part of the group.

Then the vintage bug hit. I got really into finding, fixing and tinkering with vintage sewing machines. Dad still had mom’s Bernina and we found the old Singer in the garage! No one else wanted them, so I brought them both home. My dentist’s receptionist called when I got back from my visit and told me about a family that needed to get rid of some old sewing machines. The father had been into tinkering too and had recently passed. Long story short, I ended up with a lot of sewing machines.

I decided to learn to quilt because I felt guilty having so many sewing machines and not sewing anything! That was 2014. That year I made my first quilt from start to finish. Last year I made a few more tops and bought a quilting frame, also an unplanned move. I wasn’t even 100% sure exactly how you use one, but I was sure I needed it and it was a bargain lol!

Having finished one quilt now on the frame I know I made a good choice and this year the plan is to get better at it!