View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 05:43 PM
johnm

[QUOTE=ArchaicArcane;7437718]
I have found the same thing about the spread rate. I think my singer lube in the lead tubes is the one that melts at a higher rate - but you're right - I don't know that I've seen any shafts or bearings damaged even with poor or non-existent lubrication. I have however found machines needing brushes changed. One was right down to the spring, one was past and ruined the commutator, another had brushes at about 1/16".

WOW, now that is using brushes beyond the limit. We should invent a "squeeker" as in disk brakes, to let us know when the brushes are running short, ha, ha. We must not have that much sewing time in Wisconsin, wood to split, lye soap to make, chickens to feed and cows to milk. We might wear out a splitting maul before the motor brushes, ha, ha. I pour melted Vaseline into the disposable vet syringes, and grind the cutting point off of a one inch, #12 hypo needle. I have squeezed the plastic singer tube of lube into grease holes and had the lube puke back out at me from the trapped air in the grease fitting. Plastic syringe works great. Getting cold, gotta put wood in the furnace.
Johnm