View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 12:51 PM
Feather3

Originally Posted by carolaiken View Post
I have struggled with what to put on the label when asked for contents and "blanket" is a great answer!
I mailed a quilt from PA to Nebraska. I went on USPS website & printed out my shipping label, requiring signature on the receiving end. They did not ask what was in my package. I used a vacuum bag & stuffed a queen sized quilt, extra fabric & a few other tiny items in the largest priority box, which is 12" x 12" x 5 1/2" inside. I added extra insurance before printing out my label. I accordion folded the quilt length wise first then width wise & made sure it would fit inside the box first, then safety pinned a index card with to/from address on it. Then I placed it in the vacuum bag & shrunk it down. I Taped the daylights out of the box....every seam, the whole label, etc. with heavy packing tape. My Post Master said that's the way they like to see them, so they don't get ripped open. My friend had to sign for it when it arrived. She remarked about all the tape she had to cut thru to get the box open, but it arrived. I have also sent items to a friend in Sweden using the same method, except overseas packages go by size & weight.

The more tape you use the less someone will try to rip the box open. Also insist on a tracking number & watch it on line daily. If it goes missing go to your post office & insist they find it. I had dog collar tags that went missing & my Post Master found them after 2 months.

This one will shock most of you:
My friend in Sweden sent me a collectors plate. She wrapped it in paper, placed it in a paper bag & stappled it shut. That's it...no other pagkaging, nothing. I was shocked when it arrived in one piece. Yet I have received packages, sent from barely 100 miles, away smashed. Go figure.

Last edited by Feather3; 01-19-2016 at 12:54 PM.