Old 01-21-2016, 04:05 PM
MargeD
Power Poster

Sometimes we are given various quilted/knitted/crocheted items that were probably given to us because the recipient didn't know what to do with them. Several years a dear friend sent me a bunch of somewhat larger hexies, but they were made from all knit fabrics. I appreciated that she thought I might like them, and having known her wonderful MIL I would have liked to do something with them, but I just couldn't find myself putting together a bunch of knit hexies, so I did get rid of them. I felt bad, however, a few years after that this friend was building a large log cabin house, literally on a hilltop in TN, yup. She asked me to make her a log cabin quilt for her new home. I had just seen on the cover of a quilting magazine a log cabin quilt, I think made by a woman in Canada, it had a medallion style block in the center of the quilt with a log cabin with pieced, pointy mountains in the background. I wasn't happy with the log cabin, asked a fellow quilter who gave me some good advice, and I ripped it all out; but managed to save the log cabin, then made log cabin and maple leaf blocks in a barn raising setting. This was possibly the best quilt I ever made, and it still hangs next to her rock fireplace - she tells everyone who enters the house that it was a gift by her best friend. So, I managed to make up for tossing those hexies.