View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 09:06 PM
Margie07

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
I have a 15-91. It was my grandmothers, then my mothers...they have both passed away now but I remember my mom using it to sew my sister and I dresses when we were girls. I am not sure why, but she always gave the hand wheel a turn before she started sewing...like you do when using a treadle. Now that I know how to use a treadle it makes me laugh to think about her doing that (the 15-91 is electric remember). Anyway, DH rewired mine (by Rain's instructions) and while the machine worked OK, it was not great. Just before Christmas I came here trying to figure out what was wrong, and by reading my manual I realized I had been putting the needle in wrong!!! For 2 years!!! Anyway, it sews great now and I use it for everything. I have not tried FMQing yet though. I have the zig zagger too, which works well and is fun to watch but have only played w/it so far. I was not happy w/this machine until recently but I am glad I did not give up on it.
Aww, that's sweet their machine is still in use. When she gave the hand wheel a turn was she inserting the needle in the fabric before sewing? Maybe she got her intructions from page 7 of this book under the heading of "How to Start and End a Seam." http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...rence-book.pdf