View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 06:38 AM
Sewnoma

Default Latest thrift shop find

I love thrift stores so much...I find all SORTS of neat stuff. Sometimes I find nothing at all, sometimes it feels like they seeded the place with treasures just for me to come and find.

Yesterday's treasure-find: a 403A!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]540793[/ATTACH]

This was in a really beat-up cabinet...I bought the machine and "re-donated" the cabinet. I didn't want it and don't have the space!

It's interesting - the bobbin tire looks brand new and the needle is really shiny and new too, but when I checked "under the hood" I can tell it hasn't been greased in quite some time and the body overall is dusty from storage - actually I think it's sawdust. Lots of wear marks, but the bobbin area was really clean and I don't see any signs of abuse - all of the plastic spool pins are even intact. My guess is that someone used and took care of this machine pretty well but didn't know about oil or lube.

I didn't check the motor at the store; when I got her home I plugged her in and she runs but seems a little sluggish. I think a good cleaning and re-greasing and some time running should fix that and quiet her down too.

No accessories, cams, or manual, but I have a bunch of stuff from my Rocketeer that'll fit and I'll just download a manual online, I'm sure they're easy to find.

A couple more pre-bath photos - she looks cleaner in the photos than she really is - she's going to look like new after I get her cleaned up! And oh how I love that slant shank!! The little "fin" above the faceplate reminds me of my oldest dog's head, she's got a little skull ridge just like it, LOL.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540794[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540795[/ATTACH]

Happy Friday, everyone!
Attached Thumbnails 403a_1.jpg   403a_2.jpg   403a_3.jpg