Old 01-22-2016, 07:11 AM
DavidH

Default 31-15 Clutch Rebuild

Restoring this clutch has been a real learning experience. You never know what you will find. In my case I found that the oil hole for the main shaft had been filled in by a mud dauber. No telling how long since it had been painted over. I got the shaft out and found a key way cut down the side with a dry leather strip and a piece of what looks like hemp under it. The shaft is a tube that was plugged at each end and when I punched out one of the plugs I found more of the hemp looking threads that looked to be covered in a gunky grease. When I put it back together I plan on using a 0.13" felt wick under the leather and 3'8" felt wick down the bore before replacing the plug. The wedge that engages the clutch has several worn areas instead of a smooth incline so I am going to mill it back smooth. I am running all the pieces through an electrolysis cleaning before repainting. When rebuilt I expect a very smooth running clutch. When a bit more of the work is done I'll have several photo's of the restore.

David