Old 01-22-2016, 08:01 AM
Sammie1

When I decided I wanted to get a vintage machine, the 201 kept coming up as a top of the line machine. So I specifically looked for this model. It sounds like the featherweights are also good machines, but they're too pricey for me plus I'd rather have the big machine since I don't plan on taking it anywhere.

I've got the manual and also the adjusters manual. Also have the recommended oil and grease.

Currently, I'm trying to determine if I do indeed need to rewire the motor. It seems to work just fine. To get it out of the cabinet, I had to take apart the foot pedal and the wiring and everything in there looked good. Just a little dusty.

The cord to the light is shiny with grease though so I need to inspect it closer when I disassemble for refinishing. The lightbulb left in it was bad. It turned on, but it got really hot really quickly so there was some resistance there.

From sew-classic, I've got some felts, wicks, new bulb, new stitch regulator knob (it's missing from this machine) and a few other maintenance goodies. She'll be feeling young and sprite in no time. The decals are on the way so she'll look as good as she feels.

Since the finish won't be original, I've decided to improve on it. Looks like the shellac is scratched easily. My hubby works in the paint industry and was able to advise me on a good sturdy finish and he's recommended wheel paint. He said it's tough as nails so pins are less likely to scratch up the bed. And it can withstand any heat the motor or light would give off.
I'm going to disassemble and do all the preparation and he's going to paint it for me. He can lay down paint that almost looks like glass. It'll be a beautiful machine that's well protected.

Last edited by Sammie1; 01-22-2016 at 08:03 AM.