Old 01-22-2016, 12:47 PM
Cari-in-Oly
Banned

Nice find. Yes there were more than one set of decals on the 201 during it's run. Yours are the same as my machine that is a year older than yours. I *think* they changed in the late 1940s but I'm not positive on that so don't quote me. Rains blog is the bomb, the best for following to clean up your machine. His motor tutorial is the best I've found. As for oiling and greasing the 201 there are two things to keep in mind.
1. The manual calls for the hook gear to be oiled. My opinion(and we all know what those are like, lol) is I grease mine with Tri Flow grease. It sticks to the gears and you won't have to be oiling them all the time.
2. The grease tubes/wicks. Don't use Tri Flow(or any other similar) grease here. It needs to be a low melt point grease so it will wick properly. Synthetic greases just don't cut it here.There's been discussions here on QB lately about different greases and which ones are best to use in different applications. I use vaseline in my machine. (Okay. I will use vaseline when my 201 gets a spa day and I can clean out the wrong grease I put in it when I didn't know any better.)

You will be in love when you finish up your machine and sew your first stitches on it. There's nothing like the quiet hum of a 201-2.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 01-22-2016 at 12:49 PM.