View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 10:58 PM
slk350

I've been sewing since I was around 10. I learned on my Mom's Singer threadle making doll clothes.(Oh, I wish I still had it) I remember as a young girl my Dad sawed off all the side drawers and it upset me so much, they were carved and the cabinet was beautiful. WHY ? Don't remember sewing much until High School and took Home Ec. (my favorite class) . I remember making a tailored riding jacket that a friend wore in shows. Quilting starting in the mid 70's when I made my husband (then just dating) a quilt with 4" sq's on front & back. Basted batting and then sewed it right sides together, turned it right side out and tied it. And I used cotton/poly fabric and many old cut up dresses from my grandmother, which ended up tearing apart. Had no clue with I was doing. Made a few more in same fashion. Then years went by with life (marriage, kids..etc). I've always made valances and made dresses for my daughter. Then had my surprise baby at 40 and when he was little I did some babysitting of neighborhood kids. When he was in Pre-K one friends asked me if I wanted to "help" her make a queen size quilt for our schools fundraiser. I said OK. It ended up my job. She helped some, but worked and didn't have much time. It was a disaster...we had the wrong measurements, didn't have enough fabric, then realized it was way too large. I had to remove part of it and then she said...Oh, we're going to hand quilt it. I said what ?? Are you on drugs ?? It was a Grandma's fan and came out beautiful. Well, anyways the next 4 years I made the Octoberfest donation quilt all by myself. The school raffled them and made around $1000-$1500 on each of them. And yes..I hand quilted them all. Over the years I've made more and many baby quilts. I also have done alterations for almost 25 years, so quilting sometimes goes on the back burner.I also have 3 grandkids. We are downsizing from a 3000 sq. ft. house to a twin villa with under 1500 sq. ft. so I should have more time. I love quilting & sewing in general. Hope this isn't too long....LOL