Old 01-23-2016, 07:36 AM
jmarko

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I am looking to get a sewing machine for a 10 year old "granddaughter" who wants to learn to sew. Don't want to spend more than $150, prefer less and am thinking of the Brother CS6000i.

I have been reading about machines for the past week or so and am not sure if a mechanical will work for her because the speed is not easy to control. I want it to be easy for her to sew slow so I was thinking to get a machine with a speed control, but read a couple of reports on Amazon that the low end computer machines don't last very well.

I was wondering if any of you wonderful folks have any long term experience with the Brother CS6000i and can speak to ease of use and durability.

Thanks much.
I have owned a Brother CS6000i for 5 years and love it. It went to Florida with me twice and I take it to a retreat once or twice a year. It is my main machine for quilting. I used the speed control at first but now prefer the foot pedal. It is very easy to control the speed with the pedal. My only complaint is that the throat is not big enough to quilt anything bigger than a lap robe. Great machine for a beginner. I bought mine from WalMart.