Old 01-25-2016, 10:00 AM
roguequilter

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Yep, Crayola recommends warm water, but I would never wash a quilt in warm water. I soak in the bathtub with cold water & a bit of Tide Free (and sometimes a Color Catcher for my own piece of mind, but it's not really necessary). If there are any stubborn marks, I will very gently hand agitate. I find with the crayons I usually don't even need any soap, but sometimes those are harder to see because the color is less saturated. However, I LOVE the white Ultra Clean crayons for marking on very dark colored fabrics. After all the visible marks are out, I hang it or lay it flat to dry. Because I like to get my 100% cotton quilts shrunk until they crinkle before giving them to the recipient, I then toss it in the wash on gentle cycle/cold water with Tide Free and pop it in the dryer on low heat.

I've even ironed over the markers & still been able to get them out no problem. Because the crayons are wax, I would definitely avoid an iron with them because it will melt to your iron.
thank you. i found a blog where she tested the different colors and even heat set with an iron. i started doing my quilts in the bathtub years ago, but degenerative disease in my back has stopped that. i now use the washer ..fill, agitate by hand, spin on gentle or handwash cycle. i use color catchers for prewashing all my fabric, even scraps. getting ready to put a mini i made last year in frame to quilt. i'll be marking with crayola markers ...after test of course