Old 01-22-2010, 07:18 AM
quiltmom04

Originally Posted by daisyboo9
I need a new machine here at home, I cannot afford a mid arm or a long arm, either financially or even space wise. I think I have narrowed it down to Janome being the brand name, but what I really need to know is.....what bells and whistles do I really need? There are a few different machines, some are more basic than others (ex; more stitches available). I do not trust a man to sell me a machine that does not use it to do the same thing I want to do. He may know everything about all the machines but he is not a quilter.
Long story short....what features are absoloutley essential to you to have on your machine to get the job done?
You certainly don't have to spend a fortune to get a good machine, but remember you get what you pay for. A $99 machine will not last you as long or be as sturdy as a $400 machine. A dealer will have a wide selection of machines to choose from at most price points. And there is a reason that dealers don't choose to carry those cheap machines from the big box stores. The dealers reputations are built on the quality of their merchandise, and if you will be doing any amount of sewng and quilting, you'll want a machine that can take it. Even the most basic machines will have good features, so be sure to test them out to see what feels and sounds comfortable for you.