Old 01-27-2016, 03:04 PM
MCH

Not one of us mortals is perfect.

For some reason, and I have no clue as to where or why this thought came to me, but ever since I was a child, I've been fascinated by hands. No two hands are alike, even on the same person. Each one is quirky and imperfect.

However, while hands can be used for both good and evil, consider and ponder what wonderful things those quirky and imperfect hands can do...and the consequences of those actions.

In the context of making a quilt, our hands meander through myriad fabrics, searching for just the right one(s). Then, those hands prepare the fabric and cut the fabric into pieces that will form an entirely new creation when those same hands sew the pieces together, creating something unique and wonderful.

Continuing, those same imperfect hands take the creation to the next step, that of combining all those sewn-together pieces with more components, batting and backing, both of which those hands have manipulated and prepared.

Those hands, with either with a needle and thread making one stitch at a time, or by guiding a machine, combine the top, batting, and backing into one unit. All the while, the person attached to those hands has the opportunity to contemplate their work, effort, and time invested...as well as the person (known or unknown) who will receive the product of those hands' efforts.

Again, those same imperfect hands search through fabrics, looking for the one that will become the quilt's binding...and, then, with either a needle and thread in those hands or by guiding the quilt on a machine, the binding is attached. I like to think of the binding as the "ribbon on the gift of the quilt".Except for the label, the quilt is done.

All that is left is for those imperfect hands to do is to give that quilt to someone or to use it in some other manner that gives comfort, beauty, or solace.

Reflecting those imperfect hands that created the quilt, we fret about points being precise, seams being matched, and whether those seams are a full or scant quarter inch, or maybe the colors don't "work" the way we envisioned them?! Why fret?

Those imperfect hands created something unique and of value and of worth, possibly for generations to come. And we fret about "perfection"?

I look at those quilts I have that were made by my great-grandmother and my husband's grandmothers. The creations of their imperfect hands and love for their families embodied in them transcends time. Isn't that more of a gift to both the one who made the quilt and to its recipient than "perfection"?

Now, I need to get that quilt for my grandson finished in time for his #2 birthday!!

Last edited by MCH; 01-27-2016 at 03:09 PM.