Old 01-22-2010, 08:41 AM
deranged_damsel

Originally Posted by beginnerquilter
I have only been cutting in single layers...

the problem with me is that my wrists are weak so I don't have very much strength in my wrist to hold down the ruler and it doesn't matter what size of ruler I use - it is still hard on my wrist to hold a ruler firm enough so it doesn't move. I forgot to mention this in my first post...sorry about that.

I have fractured, smashed my hand, dislocated my right wrist just two years ago due to a fall and it's been broken prior to that lots of times. I am left handed so I always hold the ruler with my right hand and cut with my left. My left wrist is just a tad bit stronger than my right but not very much. I've broken my left wrist several times...I just got my cast off this past year in February off of my left wrist. Thank goodness it was a clean break. My bones break easy too so that is why I can't put too much pressure on my wrists or my fingers. I put as much pressure on my wrist/fingers when I am holding the ruler as much as I can without over doing that.

It is easier for me to hold a 3 inch ruler than a real long one and having to move it twice and keep pressure on it at all times.

I know that if I had stronger wrists than my cutting would be a breeze.

I will try that tape that somebody mentioned on here and see if that will help.

Most of my squares pretty well match up but there are a few that does not match up exactly and they are just a very tiny bit off and I mean tiny.

The cutting is hard for me due to weak wrists and plus I don't have a good long table to work on either...so that is another problem too....I am living in a apartment and right now I don't have a good long table to work on but hopefully soon I will be getting one.

My friend told me that I can go over to her house and use her table to cut on so when I do make my good Table Topper than I will do that and I'll have her help me cut my material for me or somebody from the Quilt Group that I go to.

Thanks for all of your help...I love this board because I can come here and ask a question and you all take time out to reply back...that means so much to me.

:)

try not to push with your cutter. if you are cutting single layer it should slice fairly easy. the harder you push with your cutter the stronger you have to hold your ruler.